Saturday, July 5, 2008

By the Rockets' Red Glare

"I wanted to see what was worthwhile for men to do under heaven during the few days of their lives.

"I undertook great projects: I built houses for myself and planted vineyards. I made gardens and parks and planted all kinds of fruit trees in them...

" I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure. My heart took delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labor.

"Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun."

Ecclesiastes 2:3-11

Yesterday's Fourth of July extravaganza was a time for stepping back. We attended the Webster Groves Community Days Fourth of July Parade, carnival, and fireworks.

It's been a wild ride for the past decade. The Fourth of July yesterday served to focus that entire journey for me. Ten years a
go the we watched the Fourth of July Parade from the back parking lot of my old office building. Eight years ago I was riding in the parade as "citizen of the year." I walked to the end of my block for the parade. Two years ago our house was "on the parade route" and we'd have 50-100 people in our yard.

This year, Rachel and I went down to watch the parade. I ran into people I've known in various capacities over the last 30 years. Rachel and I hung out with Dave and Tanya, some of my dearest friends. They a
re among the close circle of folks who understand that for years I felt like I was carrying office buildings, and staff, and houses on my back, but didn't know how to get out.

Yesterday felt good. Rachel and I visited with folks during the parade, then walked to our car, drove home, and ate grilled cheese sandwiches. It was fun. Yesterday evening we ate rib tips at the Lions' barbecue, then met with friends with kids to do the carnival rides and catch the fireworks. It felt laid back and wonderful.

I used to dread the preparations for the Fourth when we lived on the parade route. I enjoyed smoking turkeys with David the night before and it was kind of cool being the host. But mostly it was lot of work and a big production. It was always a huge letdown when people left and there were chairs and tables to be hauled, flys to be taken down and folded, all in sweltering humidity.

Getting stripped of businesses, buildings, homes, tons of extraneous stuff, and all the baggage of "being that guy," allowed me to be in the moment yesterday, to be grateful to God for friends, family, and country.

No comments: